Wednesday, February 07, 2007

21 Jan 06: Can I recycle envelopes?

A dispute has broken out in the household. Is it permissable to place envelopes in the local authority paper recycling bin? Beloved things no, I believe it's yes.

This is the same council who only recently fined me £50 for driving in a bus lane on the say-so of a camera hidden somewhere in the same bus lane. This was on Boxing Day - a bank holiday in the UK. How beaurcratic can you get? When I say I was 'driving' in a bus lane, I mean I stepped into the bus lane to avoid a queue in the remaining lane, where all the other, more polluting, vehicles have to go. As soon as the penalty notice arrived I made up my mind I was going to challenge this mindless bit of rule-mindedness, all the way to the House of Lords if necessary. I paid it a couple of days later.

Anyway, where was I? Being the ever-compliant husband I am, I have desisted from placing any envelopes in recycling bin, but I feel bad because that's a lot of paper going literally to waste.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Nick Upton said...

Local authorities are making it hard for people to do their bit for the environment. However, with envelopes the best thing to do is to stick a label over the old address and reuse the envelope.

I've put a list of organisations that sell envelope reuse labels on my blog. Envelope
Recycling Labels

8:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home