Monday, June 25, 2007

June 24 2007 - the doggy do's ain't going nowhere

It's no good convincing myself otherwise. As carefully as I scoop them up from the garden and drop them in a plastic bag, it makes no difference whatever. Those poos are going nowhere. And they're going nowhere because of the bag. Protected in their totally-un-biodegradable cocoon they're not going to make it back to Mother Earth where they might do some good.

It's even more nonsensical that I purchase the finest quality cat litter, completely biodegradable, from the supermarket each week - only to encase the cats' main contribution to the environment in another totally everlasting plastic bag.

But now I'm under pressure from Tesco to do something about it. The numerous used envelopes I wantonly waste will have to wait, Tesco won't. How's that? you ask. I'll tell you. Apparently sensing a major public relations disaster just because they get about £1 in every £5 spent in the entire Universe, Tesco has suddenly decided to go green. And one way they are doing this is to discourage their customers from using their free plastic bags.

They even offer bag-less delivery, which leaves me in the embarassing position of having to explain to the delivery man why I still wanted bags when all the other guilt-ridden middle class lefties were managing to do without. "It's the animals" was my weak attempt at self-justification.

To make matters worse even the cats and the dog (and the kitchen bin) cannot keep up with our supply of plastic bags - and believe me they try - and it looks like we might have to start throwing some out soon if something doesn't change. I even suspect Beloved might have done so on one or two occasions without telling me.

So, after a quick look around I discover a guy called Tommo1717 (funny, I used to know a Tommy1717) is selling biodegradable carrier bags on Ebay for £5.99 for 150. Tommy1717 has a 99.9% popularity rating, which makes him a lot more popular than even the Prime Minister and George W Bush combined. And I don't think £5.99 is a lot of money to make me that little bit more of a responsible citizen, so I'm going to buy some. I'm not sure the doggy-do's will be that good for the environment even then, but at least we won't have to wait until the year 3050 to find out.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home