Wednesday, February 21, 2007

2 Feb 07: Should I machine-wash the e-cloth?

The e-cloth is an interesting concept, a way of washing your car without using soap or water. I used it the last time I washed the Prius, which was some time last year. On reflection I believe it was the previous year. Doesn't time fly?

I bought the e-cloth very soon after buying the car, they kind of 'went together'. The idea was a good one. I had just purchased a new car, a good one, and I was determined to keep it looking in showroom condition for as long as I owned it. It took me a couple of weeks to get round to my first hand car-wash. Beloved, picking up on the occasion, decided to surprise me by taking a couple of digital photos of me cleaning my own car - a touching gesture, I thought. It did a surprisingly good job, considering the challenges involved in using neither soap nor water.

Anyway, shortly after that first, waterless wash, I found I was too busy with other things, and have since discovered a great hand wash run by eastern Europeans, at the fitness centre where I use the gym. In many ways this is a better arrangement. It not only provides employment for others, but motivates me to keep fit, while keeping my car in a state much nearer to showroom condition than it would otherwise be.

However, the e-cloth, which cost around thirteen pounds as I remember it (when packaged with another), did not go to waste. It sits in my driver's door pocket and does a marvellous job - along with the accompanying synthetic chamois cloth - of the mirrors, dashboard and so on. When it gets a little dirty it should be washed in the machine at 90 degrees. I've done this twice now and it really comes up good as new, but is this ecologically-sound behaviour? Is this a responsible use of resources? I mean, how 'e' really is the e-cloth?

On a completely different note, the red plastic box the vegetarian multivitimins and minerals came in still stares challengingly at my from the back of my desk (actually it's Andy's desk really but he knows that). Challenging me to do something constructive with it, other than chuck it away. There's a hole in my life somewhere between the two recycling bins and green bin the council takes away for us, where I would like to put plastic things like this, if only I could find a practical way. I temporarily a littel crushed over this one, or at least the plastic should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home